Living in
a student residence

Moving in

  • How do I pay the rent?

    You pay your rent quickly and easily by direct debit. It is generally debited from your account up to the third working day of a month.

    Note: Payments can only be debited from a German account or an account in another EU country (if the Euro is an official currency of that country).


  • How do I get my key?

    The caretaker responsible for your accommodation will give you your key on the day you move in. Please arrange an appointment with the caretaker by phone two weeks in advance.

    It is usually possible to move in from the third working day of the month (Monday to Friday) after arranging an appointment with the caretaker by phone. If your tenancy agreement begins on a Saturday, Sunday or an official public holiday, you can only move in after that day.

    If the room is ready for you to move into and no other work is needed, a slightly earlier moving-in date may be possible. We regret that it is not possible to move in before the start of the month.


  • What will I need to bring with me when I move in?

    Many of our rooms are furnished with a bed, a wardrobe, shelves, a desk and a desk chair. No mattresses are provided in the student residence on Rottstraße. The rooms in the residences on Ruhrorter Straße, Schemkesweg 41-45 and Tulpenstraße are not always fully furnished. In some of the rooms you can bring your own furniture with you. We do not provide inventory such as dishes, bedding or similar items.

    The student residence management team will be happy to give you more detailed information on what is provided in specific residences.

  • What can I do if I don’t like my room?

    When you rent a room, you can apply to move to a specific property. Places are allocated via a waiting list. Please talk to your accommodation officer in the student residence management.

  • What else do I need to do when I move?

    You are required to register with the registration office for residents (Einwohnermeldeamt) in your town within seven days of moving in. International students are required to register with the local Foreign Nationals Office (Ausländerbehörde). You must decide when registering whether your student accommodation is your first or second place of residence.

    Residents who are not receiving assistance under the Training Assistance Act (BAföG) must register radios, TVs and computers that are capable of receiving broadcasts with the licence fee collection service (ARD ZDF Beitragsservice). A fee is charged for use of these devices. For more information please visit the ARD ZDF Beitragsservice website.



Living in a student residence

  • What are the offers and leisure activities in the dormitory?

    On the one hand, many of our houses have integrated common rooms in which students can learn together and get to know each other. On the other hand, our tutors regularly organize events and leisure activities. These include, for example, games, cooking or country evenings and excursions to the Aachen Christmas Market.

    In addition, our Sprachcafé, the Café-Lingua, on the Essen, Duisburg and Folkwang campuses offers the opportunity to network with students from all over the world.

  • How do I get access to the internet, TV and telephone?

    Internet: You receive an email from us with your internet access data. You can access the internet either with a LAN cable or by WLAN router, although we do not provide either the router or the LAN cable.

    TV: Your rent generally covers the cost of a cable TV connection. All you need to do is connect your device with a suitable cable. You must provide your own cable, as it is not part of the inventory.

    Telephone: There is a telephone connection in many of our student residences, but you must take out your own contract with a provider of your choice and buy the relevant equipment.


  • What do I do if I have problems with the internet?

    If you have any problems with the internet, an IT company called Faron Service is your first point of contact. Faron is responsible on our behalf for the stability of the network and helps with network problems.

    Gigaspeedsurfer Netz Essen/Duisburg

    A project of:
    Faron Service Ltd.
    Economiestraat 39 BU 37
    NL-6433 KC Hoensbroek

    The provider’s Hotline is available 24 hours a day on 0228 ⁄ 286283430 (telephone computer).

  • Who keeps the communal areas clean?

    We always request that our tenants keep the communal rooms (kitchens, bathrooms) on the corridors clean and tidy. We clean the floors, but you are responsible for keeping the fixtures and fittings clean. In the shared apartments, you as the tenant are responsible for cleaning.

  • Where can I do my laundry?

    There are generally washing machines and clothes dryers in almost every student residence. It currently costs around 1.50 € to 2.60 € per washing and drying load.


  • Are there parking spaces at my student residence?

    There is plenty of space to park your car or motorbike on the grounds of our student residences. In some cases you can rent parking spaces for a small fee.

  • Can I bring a pet?

    No, it is not permitted to keep pets at our residences.

  • Are my personal belongings insured in the student residence?

    No. We recommend that our tenants take out their own household and personal liability insurance. Students can usually be insured at little cost through their parents. Please remember that losing a key can be very expensive. You should therefore check with your insurance whether it also covers loss of keys.


  • Can I sublet my room?

    Rooms can only be sublet or let for a short term in exceptional cases (semester abroad or practical semester) after prior approval by the student residence management.

    Only fully enrolled students can be considered as subtenants. Please contact your tenant advisor for more information.

    Note: It is not permitted to sublet rooms to third parties or to accommodate family members.


  • I want to change my student residence. What do I have to do?

    Inform your person responsible of your specific move request by e-mail. We keep internal moving lists in which we will be happy to add you.

    The waiting period can last several months, depending on your preferences. Our dormitory administration will contact you unsolicited if your desired room is available. An administration fee of 40,00 € will be charged for such a move.


Reparations and emergencies

  • What do I do in a technical emergency?

    In an emergency (e.g. power outage throughout the student residence or over a complete floor, or a burst pipe), please contact the caretaker. When he is not on duty, you can call our emergency service on work days from 17.00 to 7.00 and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays on +49 151 17437525.

  • What do I do if I have lost my key or locked myself out?

    You lost your key or locked yourself out? Or your key has broken off in the door cylinder? No need to panic! Our caretakers, an emergency service or in the last instance an external key emergency service can help!

    Please note that you must identify yourself as a tenant when opening the door. If you lose your key, you will have to pay the cost of a new lock. An administration fee of  25,00 € will also be charged for a new locking card. If the key is broken, a replacement key will be charged. If necessary, additional costs may be incurred if the door is opened by an external service provider (emergency number, key service). You will receive the invoice by post or e-mail from the residence administration.

    Property management
    Please contact your caretaker during service hours. The contact details can be found online at

    Essen and Mülheim: Mon to Thurs 07:00 am – 04:00 pm, Fri 07:00 am – noon

    Duisburg: Mon to Thurs 07:00 am – 03:30 pm, Fri 07:00 am – noon

    Central emergency number: +49 151 17437525
    Outside our service hours, please contact the central emergency number.

    Mon to Fri 05:00 pm – 10:00 pm
    Sat and Sun, holidays 10:00 am – 10:00 pm

    The emergency service does not apply to Bülowstraße. There you have to contact a locksmith directly.

    Locksmith/key service, Schlüsseldienst Kötter: +49 201 2788110

    Should such a mishap happen to you even outside the service hours of the emergency number, the only solution you have is to contact the company Kötter. Kötter cannot open room doors that have a lever tumbler lock. In such cases, all you can do is inform the caretaker or call the central emergency number the next working day.

    Costs for door opening by the central emergency service or the Kötter company

    Mon to Fri 05:00 pm – 10:00 pm (60,00 €) 
    Mon to Fri 10:00 pm – 07:00 am (100,00 €)

    Sat, Sun and holidays all-day (100,00 €)

  • What do I do if my key card doesn’t work?

    If your key card is not working, you can contact the caretaker or the emergency service if the caretaker is not on duty.

    Outside our office hours, please contact the central emergency service: +49 151 17437525.

    Mo to Fr 10:00 pm – 7:00 am
    Sat and Sun, holidays: 10:00 pm – 10:00 am

    In the case of a regular cylinder and/or door defect, you will not incur any costs. If, however, deliberate damage to the door/closure is found, you will have to bear the cost of emergency service. The same applies to emptying the battery in the electronic locking cylinder. For the latter, we recommend that you read the cylinder instructions that you received with your rental agreement again in order to rule out future defects.

  • What should I do if my room or my apartment is damaged or anything is missing?

    You can report any damage and/or missing items through the student residence online portal.

    1. Log into the online portal
      Enter your data (e-mail and password) under the menu item "Contracts". You will then be forwarded to a list view of your rental agreements.
    2. Activate damage report
      Activate the currently valid rental agreement by clicking on it and then select the menu item "Damage report".
    3. Create a damage report
      Fill out the form (location, category, type and damage description) completely and click on "Send". Please indicate in the form whether we are allowed to enter your flat/WG-room in your absence.

    You can check your report at any time under the “Overview of enquiries” menu item, where you will also find any reply from the management.

Moving out

  • How can I terminate my tenancy agreement?

    Notice to terminate your tenancy agreement must be made in writing and on paper with an original signature. Termination by mail or fax is not legally valid.

    You can find a sample termination of tenancy form here.

    You can send us the form by post or hand it in to us in person.


  • What deadlines apply if I want to terminate my tenancy agreement?

    You can terminate the rental agreement at the end of the first year of residence (12 months) and at the end of any following month, retaining a 3-month cancellation period. Notice of termination must be given latest on the third working day of a month before the end of the month thereafter.

    In the following exceptional cases, the tenancy can also be terminated in the first year of residence: In the case of exmatriculation due to

    • graduation,
    • a change of university,
    • resignation or
    • failure to pass the final examination.

    In these cases, a special termination to the end of the following month after removal from the student register becomes effective (date from which no longer registered) can be recognised on condition that evidence (document confirming that the student is no longer on the student register, Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung) is submitted to STUDIERENDENWERK in the month of issue or at the latest on the third working day of the following month. Please note that a backdated and/or forced exmatriculation does not fall under the right of special termination.

  • What do I have to do after giving notice?

    You can arrange to have your room pre-inspected by the caretaker so that you know if there is anything you have to take care of before moving out.

    Please make an appointment with your caretaker around 14 days before the date on which you want to move out. Please clear your room or apartment as described in the General Terms and Conditions of Tenancy by your moving-out date so that the caretaker can inspect the room or apartment with you.

    If you are unable to attend the appointment in person on the day, someone else can do the handover on your behalf. Please arrange this with us in advance.

    Your room key must be returned in person. If your key is left in the caretaker’s letterbox, you will be charged for any defects subsequently found.

  • When will my deposit be returned?

    Provided that you have met all the conditions of your tenancy agreement, your deposit will be returned to you around eight weeks after the official end of your tenancy; it is paid into an account as instructed by you.

    Note: Tenants of our dormitory in Bülowstraße 51-55 in Mülheim will receive their deposit back at the earliest ten weeks after the end of their tenancy.


  • After I have moved out, can I re-apply later for another place in a student residence?

    Tenants who have already lived in one of our student residences can re-apply for accommodation if they have not exceeded the maximum length of tenancy when they moved out. Previous tenancy periods are deducted from the term of any new agreement.


Any more questions?

Just get in touch with us!
Consultation hours and contact details