The corona pandemic confronts many students with financial challenges. Two thirds of the students work while studying. Many of them have lost their jobs due to the current corona pandemic.
For such cases, the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) provides bridging aid in the form of a loan of max. 650,00 € per month.
Eligible are students of all state-recognised universities in Germany aged between 18 and 44 years who study in the tenth semester at most and belong to one of the following groups:
- German citizen with residence in Germany,
- EU citizens who have been living in Germany for at least three years and who are registered in Germany,
- Family members (regardless of citizenship) of a German or EU citizen who are staying with him or her in Germany and are registered here,
- “Bildungsinländer” with a German residential address.
The monthly payout amounts are between 100,00 € and € 650,00 as requested.
- Unlimited duration
- Term limited until 31.03.2021 (start of financing)
The loan is interest-free (all pay outs) until 31.12.2021. The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) will assume the interest incurred for this period.
Thereafter, the regular interest rate of the KfW Bank will apply from 01.01.2022, which is fixed for six months at a time.
The usual repayment modalities of KfW student loans apply.
The grace period, six to 23 months after the disbursement phase, is a repayment-free period.
Advice before application
Our urgent recommendation: Please let our consulting team advise you first on alternative financing options.
Your decision has already been made?
If you are sure that the KfW student loan is the right option for you, please proceed as follows:
Step 1: Make an appointment
Please contact Ms. Bauer to discuss the application process and to make an appointment. Contact details and office hours can be found at the bottom of this page.
Step 2: Prepare documents
The application form is available at www.kfw.de/studienkredit. On the basis of the data you enter, a contract offer is automatically created, which you bring with you to your appointment.
In addition to the printed contract offer, you will also need the following documents to submit your application:
- a valid certificate of enrolment for the requested start of financing
- an officially authenticated identification document showing your postal address; international students also require a certificate of residence and a certificate of residence that is not older than 12 months
- proof of an existing bank account (e.g. by presenting the bank card)
- if applicable, a record of achievement, which must be submitted in advanced study phases
- if applicable, in a graduate or postgraduate course or a doctorate, the form "Proof of academic degree"