• Where can I find my tenant ID?

    You find this for e.g. in our letters on the letterhead "Identnummer" or in the reservation confirmation.

  • Who can apply?

    Students of the University of Duisburg-Essen, Folkwang University of the Arts and Ruhr West University of Applied Sciences can apply for a room.

    External students can also apply for a place in student accommodation. However, these applications are not given priority.


  • I'm only staying for a few months. Can I apply anyway?

    Of course! Guests* have the possibility to sign a short-term rental contract with us. Important to know: Applications from guests will be given lower priority.

    We will conclude a short-term rental contract if you stay in our dorm for less than six months. In that case, a monthly surcharge will apply. You will have to pay a monthly fee in addition to the guest fee. You must rent your room for at least one month.

    The amount of this fee depends on the rental period:

    Contract period Fee per month
    1 month

    60,00 €

    2 months

    50,00 €

    3 months

    40,00 €

    4 months

    30,00 €

    5 months

    20,00 €

    from 6 months /

    Reasons for such an additional fee are, among others, the high administrative costs and a certain vacancy rate that arises with short term contracts.

    Example: You live as a guest in one of our dormitories for five months. In this case, as a guest you pay the regular rent plus a fee totaling 40,00 € per month (20,00 € guest fee + 20,00 € short-term fee).

    *As guests, we refer to students from universities other than Universität Duisburg-Essen, Folkwang Universität der Künste and Hochschule Ruhr West.

  • How can I apply?

    The first step is to register via our online form. For this we need proof of your studies. Details and the online application can be found here.


  • Can I also apply for several locations?

    Absolutely! When you register, you indicate which cities you would like to visit. You can also choose two or all three cities.

  • Is there a deadline for applications?

    No. You can generally apply any time after enrolling successfully or receiving an admission letter. However, the sooner we receive your application, the better chance you will have.

    Rooms are rented out all year round. The tenancy agreements generally begin at the start of the semester, e.g. 01.03/01.04 or 01.09./01.10 of a year.


  • What criteria are used for allocating places?

    If you are early, you will be rewarded: applications are processed according to when they are received. The earlier you apply, the better your chances of getting the place you want.


  • How long are the waiting times?

    We cannot make any general statements about how long you will have to wait for accommodation, as it depends on many different factors.


  • What happens after I’ve made my application?

    Once you have registered, we will look for a room for you. Please take care of your proof as soon as possible (admission letter/valid enrolment document or proof for courses with unrestricted admission).

    You can find out what happens after registration here: How-to application

  • Why do I have to pay a reservation fee?

    The 850,00 € reservation fee is required as a security for STUDIERENDENWERK. After you move in, this fee will be counted as a deposit. In accordance with the terms of the tenancy agreement, the deposit will be returned to you around eight weeks after tenancy ends, provided that you leave your room in clean and tidy condition.

    Note: Separate conditions apply to our dormitory in Bülowstraße 51-55, Mülheim. The reservation fee is 1041,00 € and will be refunded at the earliest 10 weeks after the end of the rental period.

  • Can I view the room before I enter into the tenancy agreement?

    We appreciate that you would like to have a look at your potential new home in advance. However, we are unable to conduct viewings because, as the landlord, we are not allowed to enter rented residential property.

    You can nevertheless visit our student houses of your own accord and arrange with current tenants to view a room.


  • What happens if I turn down an offer of a room?

    If this is the case, your application will no longer be considered. You can simply apply again at a later time.


  • How long can I live in the student accommodation?

    The maximum amount of time you can live in a student residence has been set to ten semesters. The tenancy agreement can be terminated at the end of the first year of residence at any time with three months' notice. There are special regulations for exmatriculation (only within the first year of residence) as well as for program students and guests.

    Exception: In our dormitory Bülowstraße 51-55 in Mülheim, the tenancy agreement is always issued for one year. After each year, it can be extended up to a maximum of ten semesters.


  • What is the guest fee?

    Guests we charge a monthly fee, which is due in addition to the rent. It amounts to 20,00 €/month.

    Who is considered a guest in the dormitory of STUDIERENDENWERK?
    We consider all students who are not enrolled at one of these three universities to be guests: University of Duisburg-Essen, Folkwang University of the Arts, Ruhr West University of Applied Sciences.

    In this respect, the total rent of program/exchange students also includes this monthly guest flat rate of 20,00 €.


  • How do I pay the rent?

    After receipt of the rental agreement you have to transfer the first rent to the bank account of the STUDIERENDENWERK with your tenant ID. The bank details are identical according to the reservation fee

    You pay all other rents quickly and easily by direct debit. You can find the necessary form to fill out here. It is generally debited from your account up to the third working day of a month.

    Note for students from abroad
    After your arrival at the university location you should immediately open a current account at a German bank, as we collect the rent by SEPA direct debit mandate (form to fill out here). The rent is then automatically collected by us on the third working day of every month.

    Payments can only be debited from a German account or an account in another EU country (if the Euro is an official currency of that country).

  • How do I get my key?

    The caretaker responsible for your accommodation will give you your key on the day you move in. Please arrange an appointment with the caretaker by phone two weeks in advance.

    It is usually possible to move in from the third working day of the month (Monday to Friday) after arranging an appointment with the caretaker by phone. If your tenancy agreement begins on a Saturday, Sunday or an official public holiday, you can only move in after that day.

    If the room is ready for you to move into and no other work is needed, a slightly earlier moving-in date may be possible. We regret that it is not possible to move in before the start of the month.


  • What will I need to bring with me when I move in?

    Many of our rooms are furnished with a bed, a wardrobe, shelves, a desk and a desk chair. No mattresses are provided in the student residence on Rottstraße. The rooms in the residences on Ruhrorter Straße, Schemkesweg 41-45 and Tulpenstraße are not always fully furnished. In some of the rooms you can bring your own furniture with you. We do not provide inventory such as dishes, bedding or similar items.

    The student residence management team will be happy to give you more detailed information on what is provided in specific residences.

  • What can I do if I don’t like my room?

    When you rent a room, you can apply to move to a specific property. Places are allocated via a waiting list. Please talk to your accommodation officer in the student residence management.

  • What else do I need to do when I move?

    You are required to register with the registration office for residents (Einwohnermeldeamt) in your town within seven days of moving in. International students are required to register with the local Foreign Nationals Office (Ausländerbehörde). You must decide when registering whether your student accommodation is your first or second place of residence.

    Residents who are not receiving assistance under the Training Assistance Act (BAföG) must register radios, TVs and computers that are capable of receiving broadcasts with the licence fee collection service (ARD ZDF Beitragsservice). A fee is charged for use of these devices. For more information please visit the ARD ZDF Beitragsservice website.




  • How is the TV liscence fee calculated?

    A flat-rate fee is charged for each apartment, so that in principle each household has to pay the TV fee of 18.36 € per month. It is irrelevant how many TVs are available in the household (including the radios in private cars) and how many people live in the household. A contribution must be paid for each apartment.

    If a second residence is registered in addition to the primary residence, both apartments must be paid for.

    Registration or cancellation of broadcasting fees:

    Further information:


  • How is the TV liscence fee paid for a WG?
    • One contribution is paid per shared flat. This means that an adult must be registered to pay the TV liscence fee of €18.36 for the shared flat.
    • If the rooms of the dormitory are constructed like a shared flat, with a lockable door separated from the hallway, then the flatmates can share the contribution.
    • If the dormitory rooms come from a generally accessible corridor (even with a shared bathroom or kitchen), then each student must pay € 18.36 per person.
  • Who can be exempted from the TV liscence fee?
    • If students receive BAföG, they can apply to be exempted from broadcasting fees, as can asylum seekers who receive benefits under the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act. Attention: In a shared flat the exemption does not apply to the other flatmates. Only if all persons receive BAföG or are asylum seekers does the complete WG not pay.
    • Recipients of social benefit or unemployment benefit II including benefits according to § 22 without surcharges according to § 24 of the Second Social Code. As a rule, however, this does not apply to students.
    • Deaf-blind people and recipients of assistance for the blind according to §72 SGB XII or §27d BVG.
  • Who receives a discount on the TV liscence fee?

    The following groups of people who have been awarded the "RF" mark pay a third of €5.83 per month:

    • Blind and visually impaired people with a degree of disability of at least 60% (due to vision impairment alone).
    • Hearing-impaired people who are deaf and who are unable to communicate adequately through their hearing, even with hearing aids.
    • Disabled people whose degree of disability is not only temporary at least 80%.


  • Are there special regulations for foreign students?

    There are no special rules for foreign students, including scholarship holders or students in exchange programmes (e.g. Erasmus).

    Please check the foreign-language offer for further information about the TV licence fee:


  • What costs are included in the rent?

    In contrast to the free housing market, the costs for electricity*, water, heating and Internet access are included in the rent in most cases. Additional payments are excluded for our tenants.

    *We have been receiving green electricity in our dormitories since 2022.

  • What are the offers and leisure activities in the dormitory?

    On the one hand, many of our houses have integrated common rooms in which students can learn together and get to know each other. On the other hand, our tutors regularly organize events and leisure activities. These include, for example, games, cooking or country evenings and excursions to the Aachen Christmas Market.

    In addition, our Sprachcafé, the Café-Lingua, on the Essen, Duisburg and Folkwang campuses offers the opportunity to network with students from all over the world.

  • How do I get access to the internet, TV and telephone?

    You receive an email from us with your internet access data. You can access the internet either with a LAN cable or by WLAN router, although we do not provide either the router or the LAN cable.

    Exception Bülowstraße: In our dormitory in Bülowstraße in Mülheim, internet is not included in the monthly rent. You have to find your own provider and sign your own contract.

    Your rent generally covers the cost of a cable TV connection. All you need to do is connect your device with a suitable cable. You must provide your own cable, as it is not part of the inventory.

    There is a telephone connection in many of our student residences, but you must take out your own contract with a provider of your choice and buy the relevant equipment.


  • What do I do if I have problems with the internet?

    If you have any problems with the internet, an IT company called 1&1 Versatel is your first point of contact. 1&1 Versatel is responsible on our behalf for the stability of the network and helps with network problems.

    1&1 Versatel
    +49 800 – 550 555 702

  • Who keeps the communal areas clean?

    We always request that our tenants keep the communal rooms (kitchens, bathrooms) on the corridors clean and tidy. We clean the floors, but you are responsible for keeping the fixtures and fittings clean. In the shared apartments, you as the tenant are responsible for cleaning.

  • Where can I do my laundry?

    There are generally washing machines and clothes dryers in almost every student residence. It currently costs around 1.50 € to 2.60 € per washing and drying load.


  • Are there parking spaces at my student residence?

    There is plenty of space to park your car or motorbike on the grounds of our student residences. In some cases you can rent parking spaces for a small fee.

  • Can I bring a pet?

    No, it is not permitted to keep pets at our residences.

  • Are my personal belongings insured in the student residence?

    No. We recommend that our tenants take out their own household and personal liability insurance. Students can usually be insured at little cost through their parents. Please remember that losing a key can be very expensive. You should therefore check with your insurance whether it also covers loss of keys.


  • Can I sublet my room?

    Rooms can only be sublet or let for a short term in exceptional cases (semester abroad or practical semester) after prior approval by the student residence management.

    Only fully enrolled students can be considered as subtenants. Please contact your tenant advisor for more information.

    Note: It is not permitted to sublet rooms to third parties or to accommodate family members.


  • I want to change my student residence. What do I have to do?

    Inform your person responsible of your specific move request by e-mail. We keep internal moving lists in which we will be happy to add you.

    The waiting period can last several months, depending on your preferences. Our dormitory administration will contact you unsolicited if your desired room is available. An administration fee of 40,00 € will be charged for such a move.



  • How can I terminate my tenancy agreement?

    Notice to terminate your tenancy agreement must be made in writing and on paper with an original signature. Termination by mail or fax is not legally valid.

    You can find a sample termination of tenancy form here.

    You can send us the form by post or hand it in to us in person.


  • What deadlines apply if I want to terminate my tenancy agreement?

    You can terminate the rental agreement at the end of the first year of residence (12 months) and at the end of any following month, retaining a 3-month cancellation period. Notice of termination must be given latest on the third working day of a month before the end of the month thereafter.

    In the following exceptional cases, the tenancy can also be terminated in the first year of residence: In the case of exmatriculation due to

    • graduation,
    • a change of university,
    • resignation or
    • failure to pass the final examination.

    In these cases, a special termination to the end of the following month after removal from the student register becomes effective (date from which no longer registered) can be recognised on condition that evidence (document confirming that the student is no longer on the student register, Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung) is submitted to STUDIERENDENWERK in the month of issue or at the latest on the third working day of the following month. Please note that a backdated and/or forced exmatriculation does not fall under the right of special termination.

  • What do I have to do after giving notice?

    You can arrange to have your room pre-inspected by the caretaker so that you know if there is anything you have to take care of before moving out.

    Please make an appointment with your caretaker around 14 days before the date on which you want to move out. Please clear your room or apartment as described in the General Terms and Conditions of Tenancy by your moving-out date so that the caretaker can inspect the room or apartment with you.

    If you are unable to attend the appointment in person on the day, someone else can do the handover on your behalf. Please arrange this with us in advance.

    Your room key must be returned in person. If your key is left in the caretaker’s letterbox, you will be charged for any defects subsequently found.

  • When will my deposit be returned?

    Provided that you have met all the conditions of your tenancy agreement, your deposit will be returned to you three to six months after the official end of your tenancy; it is paid into an account as instructed by you.

    Note: Tenants of our dormitory in Bülowstraße 51-55 in Mülheim will receive their deposit back at the earliest four months after the end of their tenancy.


  • After I have moved out, can I re-apply later for another place in a student residence?

    Tenants who have already lived in one of our student residences can re-apply for accommodation if they have not exceeded the maximum length of tenancy when they moved out. Previous tenancy periods are deducted from the term of any new agreement.