The KfW student loan offers an additional option of student finance. It is granted independently of your own income and assets and those of your parents.
The loan is awarded for undergraduate programes (Bachelor’s, Diplom, Magister, state examination) as a first or second degree, various postgraduate programes including Master’s degrees), and doctorates.
Before concluding such a loan, you should consult us in detail.
It is often possible to find more inexpensive alternatives (e.g. BAföG, Daka).
Applications can be submitted by adult students of the University of Duisburg-Essen, the Folkwang University of Arts and the Ruhr West University of Applied Sciences who are no older than 44 years before the start of funding and who are studying part-time, full-time or on the job maximum in the tenth semester and belong to one of the following groups:
- German citizen with residence in Germany,
- EU citizens who have been living in Germany for at least three years and who are registered in Germany,
- Family members (regardless of citizenship) of a German or EU citizen who are staying with him or her in Germany and are registered here,
- “Bildungsinländer” with a German residential address.
The monthly payout amounts are between 100 and 650 €. The maximum duration of support for first and second degree courses is 14 semesters, according to age.
Always until 15.03. or 15.09. you can adjust the monthly payment amount to your current needs.
Since May 2020, a special regulation has been in force due to the corona pandemic*: In order to relieve the burden on students, the Federal Ministry of Education and Research will assume all interest of pay outs incurred until 31.12.2021. Existing loans were automatically converted for this period. Afterwards, from 01.01.2022, the regular interest rate applies.
Conditions and further information:
The loan will be repaid in monthly instalments at the latest 23 months after the last payment. You must have completed the repayment within a maximum period of 25 years after the end of your subscription.
In financially difficult phases, you have the option of reducing the repayment amounts to a minimum of 20 € on 01.04. or 01.10. of each year - if the loan is nevertheless repaid in a maximum of 25 years.
Advice before application
Our urgent recommendation: Please let our consulting team advise you first on alternative financing options.
Your decision has already been made?
If you are sure that the KfW student loan is the right option for you, please proceed as follows:
Step 1: Make an appointment
Please contact Ms. Ostkamp to discuss the application process and to make an appointment. Contact details and office hours can be found at the bottom of this page.
Step 2: Prepare documents
The application form is available at www.kfw.de/studienkredit. On the basis of the data you enter, a contract offer is automatically created, which you bring with you to your appointment.
In addition to the printed contract offer, you will also need the following documents to submit your application:
- a valid certificate of enrolment for the requested start of financing
- an officially authenticated identification document showing your postal address; international students also require a certificate of residence and a certificate of residence that is not older than 12 months
- proof of an existing bank account (e.g. by presenting the bank card)
- if applicable, a record of achievement, which must be submitted in advanced study phases
- if applicable, in a graduate or postgraduate course or a doctorate, the form "Proof of academic degree"
If you have submitted the complete application with all documents by the 15th of a month, a processing period of approx. three weeks is to be expected. In the event of any queries, payment may be delayed.